J. & L. Lobmeyr was founded in 1823 by Josef Lobmeyr (1792-1855) from Vienna. In the middle of the 19th century, the company passed to his sons, Josef and Ludwig (J. & L. Lobmeyr). A rare case – the company has existed for almost 150 years and is still family owned.
Ludwig Lobmeyr (1829-1917) continued the family business after his brother’s death in 1864. His series of Oriental pieces was inspired by the work of Philippe-Joseph Brocard (1831-1896), who was the first to present his enameled and gilded glassware at international exhibitions. Lobmeyr was the first Austrian glassmaker to create beautiful vessels inspired by Arabic enamelware, in collaboration with designers such as Johann Machitka and Franz Schmoranz, known for their oriental designs. These products received a prize at the World Exhibition in Paris in 1878.