Eliza Simmans joined Doulton & Co, a ceramics company in Lambeth, a suburb of London, in 1873. Her creative career in the company was unusually long and fruitful. After 55 years with the company, she retired in 1928. Elisa’s murals are intricate abstract and floral ornaments, often asymmetrical, very close to Art Nouveau. By 1880, she already had her own staff of artists who completed her projects.
Doulton had a main stand at the 1888 Glasgow International Exhibition. In keeping with the then fashion for exotic architecture, it was modeled as an Indian pavilion. A kiln was installed inside, and visitors could buy ceramic pots that were made, decorated and fired right at the exhibition.