Nikas Stepanovich Safronov (born April 8, 1956) is a contemporary Russian artist, whose work is in demand both by his compatriots and abroad. Nikas Safronov works in different genres, directions and styles, invents new formats in art, plays on his own fantasies and techniques of the masters of the past. The biography of the painter, who leads an active social life, attracts no less attention than his paintings.
Biography of Nikas Safronov
Nikas Safronov, a native of Ulyanovsk, was born on April 8, 1956 in a large family of a retired military man. The artist’s real name is Nikolai, a sonorous pseudonym he took for himself in connection with the Baltic origin of his mother. Back in his school years, the boy became interested in painting, created reproductions of paintings and copies of illustrations in a romantic style.
Despite this, Nikas continued his education at the Odessa Naval School, but a year after entering he left it, because he realized that he had to connect life with creativity. The young man served in the army, and then moved to Panevezys, began to work as a theater designer. In 1978 the first personal exhibition of the young painter took place in this Lithuanian city. They started talking about Safronov as a portrait painter, a bold experimenter, a surrealist.
Nikas Safronov subsequently moved to Vilnius, here in 1978-1982. received the specialty of a designer at the State Art Institute. His next exposition was presented in the capital of Lithuania in 1980. Later, the graduate graduated from the Moscow Surikov Institute and settled in the Russian capital.
Safronov traveled a lot, admired the masterpieces of painting, comprehended the technique of the great geniuses of the brush. One after another, his exhibitions were arranged, his works were acquired by museums around the world. The active life position and outrageousness of Nikas Safronov to this day draw attention to the artist’s personality.
An important part of the master’s work is the psychological portraits of famous politicians, actors, pop stars.
The painter succeeded in this genre, found a lot of customers and admirers. He included a number of paintings in the “River of Time” series, where modern personalities turn into heroes of ancient works.
At the same time Nikas Safronov strove to create his own special direction in the visual arts Dream Vision. This is a synthesis of classical painting and subconscious feelings, visions of the artist. The paintings are reminiscent of the work of the Impressionists: a holistic impression is formed from blurred details. It is difficult to grasp the border of dream and reality, reality and fantasy here.
The animalistic works of Nikas Safronov are also interesting, where he depicts half cats, half dogs and other representatives of the fauna with human features. These works reflect the extraordinary nature of the master, who always strives for experimentation.
In 2016 Nikas founded his painting school in Moscow. This is how his old dream of his own workshop came true. The artist is always open to everything new, participates in collaborations. For example, the motives of his works become prints of designer clothes. Safronov’s creativity and rich personal life formed the basis of films and literature. American scientists even named a star from the constellation Andromeda after him. The master was awarded many state and public awards, he is an Honored Artist of the Russian Federation. The painter is engaged in charity work, conducts active educational activities.
The most famous paintings by Nikas Safronov
The artist’s work is a constant experiment, he knows how to surprise the viewer. Among the most famous paintings by Nikas Safronov, the following are worth highlighting:
- “Magdalena Donnie or a cat’s look at Raphael” (2002) the author likes to flirt with classics, masterpieces of the geniuses of the past. This work from the Cat People series is a reference to the legendary La Gioconda by Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci.
- “Madonna is like a butterfly” (2008) the picture was written after the scandal associated with the performance of the group Pussy-Riot. The American pop star reproached the Russians for hypocrisy. In response, the artist depicted her in the form of an almost disembodied butterfly, a kind of jumping dragonfly.
- “Spring. Love “(2018) a work in the author’s technique of dream vision, which has received wide recognition. “Born in Rome” (XXI century) Nikas and the charming Sophia Loren are linked by a long-term friendship. In the collection of the genius actress there are five portraits created by a Russian artist.
- “Peak of Beauty” (XXI century) a portrait in gentle pastel colors glorifies the image of a modern woman. On the canvas, perfection itself appears in the understanding of the master.
- “In memory of Alexander the Great” (XXI century) in the work the author refers to the ancient plot, but the battle scene appears more like a game full of excitement.
For his shocking and love of experiments, Nikas Safronov is called the Russian Salvador Dali abroad. Although not everyone perceives the artist’s work with enthusiasm, his works involuntarily attract attention, make the viewer think.