The futuristic style is ideal for progressive and out-of-the-box people. Among its adherents you can find representatives of different age categories. From active urban youth to wealthy pensioners who value comfort and originality.
Features of the style
The futuristic style in the interior has little in common with the classic traditions of home furnishing. It is based on bold ideas, largely borrowed from science fiction and the latest technological advances.
The main features of the futuristic style in the interior include:
- Asymmetric layout of the space. Designers give an unusual shape to various structures and furnishings: walls, windows, doors, niches, openings.
- The prevalence of modern finishing materials. Most often, glass, plastic, metal and mirror surfaces are used to decorate rooms.
- Monochrome color palette. This design is dominated by white and cold neutral shades of gray or blue, bright colors are rare and practically do not stand out from the overall picture.
- Unusual pieces of furniture with rounded or emphasized strict rectangular shapes. Armchairs and sofas are usually made of fabric or leather, while tables and cabinets are made of glass and metal.
- Lack of a pronounced main light source in the room. Instead of a traditional chandelier, many small spotlights or LED modules are installed in the ceiling and walls around the entire perimeter of the room.
- A minimum of decor and other embellishments. In such a room there is no place for figurines, ceramics, blankets and napkins, and on the wall you can rarely find a lonely picture of a modern author or an original black and white photo.
The futuristic style of the interior always implies the presence of a large number of modern consumer electronics in the room. Often, the owners install the “Smart Home” system, which combines all kinds of multimedia devices, sensors and control devices into a single whole to ensure maximum comfort and safety for residents.
Futuristic style or futurism appeared in art at the beginning of the twentieth century as an innovative direction. He had the greatest influence on painting and literature, but at that time the ideas of Art Nouveau or Art Nouveau dominated in the decoration of the premises.
The full-fledged birth of the futuristic style in the interior took place much later, in the 60s of the twentieth century, and the impetus for its appearance was the beginning of the space era. The exploration of near-earth space by people has awakened in society a huge interest in space flights and fantastic literature. Films devoted to distant interstellar travel began to be released in large quantities, in which the heroes spent time in the compartments and cabins of spaceships, equipped in a futuristic style.
Very soon, designers grasped the demand for original furnishings in the house and began to offer people all kinds of solutions. And the availability of plastic, metal and other modern materials contributed to the growing popularity of the new design. In addition, in the second half of the twentieth century, a huge amount of household appliances appeared, ideally suited to the ideas of futurism. So the futuristic style has become one of the most popular areas of interior design, especially in Europe and the United States.
The futuristic style in the interior has not lost its popularity in the coming XXI century. It attracts many fans who value the originality and comfort of the environment created by the latest scientific advances.